The True Cost of Ownership
How Kebony compares with other decking materials
1. Accoya is sold unsurfaced. Therefore it must get shipped to a moulding shop, handled and surfaced and shipped to the site.
2. Nova Wood is rated at 12" O/C for joists.
3. Red Balau must be treated on all 4 faces with a product similar to IPE oil or Cutek "clear" prior to install. It is also recommended to apply the same product to the top deck face every 1-2 years depending on exposure. Without the oil treatment the wood is prone to having the micro cracks develop into the structural cracks in as few as 12 years — climate dependent.
4. The decline in quality of IPE over the last six years due to over-harvest, second growth and lesser quality logs results in cupped, curved and different density and colour gradation in the deck boards, making it slower to install and with higher waste and/or returns. Many IPE deck boards require the use of a "hardwood wrench" to torque them into position to make each board align with its contiguous mates.
5. Kebony warranty is 30 years, exclusive to original purchaser.
6. Accoya warranty is exclusive to original purchaser, 50 years above ground.
7. Special infrastructure is required as Kebony's 60-year life cycle will outlast typical PT framing by as much as 40 years. Best infrastructure material is Southern Yellow Pine (SYP) Micronized Copper Azole (MCA) pressure treated to a ground contact standard.
Updated September 2016. North on Sixty cannot guarantee accuracy but every effort has been made to provide realistic and up-to-date information.